Are you planning a trip to New Orleans sometime? “Nawlins,” as the locals call it, is a hotbed of amazing cultural experiences that you won’t ever forget. With that said, below is a list of 5 things you absolutely must do on your first visit to “The Big Easy:”
1. You must eat! If you like it spicy and from the sea, then New Orleans will be a continual palate-pleaser for your entire stay. From Crawfish Etouffee, to Jambalaya, to Po-Boys and Gumbo, you’ll be hard-pressed to not have food on the brain constantly. Oh, and let’s not forget the world-famous Beignets and Bananas Foster the locals specialize in. New Orleans’s amazing cuisine should be a top-priority for your visit.
2. You must jazz it up at any one of the countless jazz clubs you’re certain to have near you! New Orleans is the birthplace of jazz, after all, and combined with the city’s propensity for partying, you’ll be in for the time of your life. Who knows, you may even make a new friend or 10!
3. You must visit Bourbon Street! Residing in the heart of the city’s oldest neighborhood, the French Quarter, Bourbon Street teems in the evening with street performers and unrivaled partying.
4. You must tour the art galleries and antique shops of Royal Street! It’s befitting that one of the oldest streets in the city is a treasure trove of relics of past- and present-day New Orleans. If history is your thing, you could easily spend an entire day on Royal Street.
5. You must take a Katrina tour! The devastation wrought by Hurricane Katrina can’t be marginalized or adequately summed up in pictures or text. A Katrina tour is sobering in relation to the New Orleans experience outlined above, but being humbled and adding a bit of humility to your experience there may just give you what you need to appreciate your time there on much deeper level.
As you can see, New Orleans has a lot to offer—certainly much more than can be expressed in a top-5 list; however, these five to-dos will get you started on the right foot and keep you busy for at least 2-3 days. And as a bonus, here are 3 local drinks you must experience: Sazerac, Pimm’s Cup, and Gin Fizz. Enjoy your first trip to New Orleans!